Grapefruit Posset with Elderflower and Basil
Chef Anita Lo, New York City
- Bring the heavy cream and sugar to a boil, stirring. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice and basil.
- Allow to sit 10-15 minutes to cool slightly, then strain and divide into cups. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Bring cream, sugar, lemon juice and basil to a boil.
- Add grapefruit sections. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Preheat convection oven to 200 degrees.
- Put egg whites in stand mixer with whisk attachment. Make sure there is no water residue.
- Whip until egg whites start to stiffen and slowly add sugar. Whip until stiff peaks.
- Place in bowl and fold in lemon zest. Put meringue in pastry bag and pipe thin layer into circle mold. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until dried out, without getting any brown color.
- Let cool and store with parchment in between meringues. Do not refrigerate.
- Soak seeds in warm water until bloomed.
- Add the sugar and salt and stir to combine.
Assembly & Plating
- To serve, on the order, top the possets with several pieces of grapefruit and a little poaching liquid.
- Garnish with the basil seeds, then the meringue, grapefruit zest and micro basil.